Thursday, December 10, 2009

Mashed Potatoes with a twist


I love mashed potatoes, a lot.  There's actually not many things that make me happier than a plate full of mashed potatoes.  I love them plain, I love them with bits of potato skin mixed in with the mash, I love them chunky and I love them smooth too.  I don't discriminate when it comes to mashed potatoes.  One day I was inspired though.  I was making mashed potatoes to go along with turkey burgers.  I originally wanted to make baked, spiced fries but earlier that day I got the bright idea to clean my oven.  I didn't even know I could do such a thing without getting on my hands and knees and scrubbing.  I was so excited.  So, I followed the instructions written on my ancient, apartment oven (which I have come to love) and the latch locked and little light turned red. 





This meant I'd have a clean oven soon...but how soon?  Surely it must take only an hour, or  something.  Wrong.  It takes ALL DAY.  I couldn't use my oven all day!  This meant no fresh bread (I had to throw away the last of my broiche dough..grr), no cookies, and definitely no baked fries.  After about 5 hours...is that normal oven cleaning time?  I got bored and impatient and started pushing some of those buttons in that picture above.  Finally, about 7 hours later the red light turned off and it let me open the door!

By this time I was hungry, so I looked in the refridgerator and I was inspired.  Staring back at me was a hunk of goat cheese just begging to be used.  I decided it'd probably taste good in mashed potatoes.  It tastes good in just about everything else, so why not?  So I went for it...and they were good.  Like, real good.




Ingredients:
  • 3 medium potatoes
  • 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, depending how much you prefer
  • about 1 tbsp. butter
  • salt, to taste
  • milk (whole, soy, heavy cream...doesn't really matter.  Your potatoes will just have a different consistancy depending on what type of milk you use); add a little at a time until you get to your desired consistancy of mashed potato.  It could be a cup of milk, it could be more.  It could be less.  This is partially why I don't like to rely on measurements.
  • goat cheese, about 2 ounces --again use your own judgement and taste
  • chopped parsley
Directions:
1.  Because I was feeling a little hungry and a lot impatient I pulled out one of those ziploc steamfresh bags.  I really love those things.  Instead of boiling my potatoes like I typically would before mashing them I peel and dice them then toss them in the bag with some chopped garlic (about 2-3 cloves worth), butter and salt to taste.  I steam them in the microwave for about 7 minutes or until the spuds are nice and mashable.

2.  Pour the potatoes into a bowl and start mashing!  After the potatoes are well mashed, grab your handy whisk. Add a little more butter if you feel like it and throw in some milk.  Start with about 1/4 c. and go from there.  Start whisking away, adding more milk as needed.  Once the potatoes begin getting nice and creamy add in the goat cheese.  Continue whisking.  You'll get a nice work out. 

3.  Chop the parsley and add to the spuds.  Check the salt, make sure there is enough...and Enjoy!!!

My favorite thing about these potatoes is the tanginess the goat cheese adds.  It just really blends well with the smoothness of the potatoes.  mmm, Ultimate American comfort food!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment