Monday, December 14, 2009

Angel-hair Pasta with Garlic Lemon Sauce, Mushrooms, Shrimp, and Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Good Evening!

Piyush and I just finished supper, so I thought I'd post about it real quick.  It's been a busy week and luckily it's bound to start slowing down soon.  I have a lot of baking coming up this weekend though, I'm glad about that, but really I could use a little break.  Tomorrow when I get off work I have to bake a cake for Piyush to take to his office for a Holiday party.  I want to do something different and something with a little holiday flair.  He only gave me one rule...no fondant.  Apparently he's not fond of it?  Or maybe his co-worker's aren't.  I'm not sure.  I always tell him that if they don't like it, tell them to peel it off.  There is plenty of frosting below it.  I suppose they feel rude if they throw away part of the cake, haha...I'm not sure.  I'm not a fan of the taste of fondant either, but it sure looks pretty.

Tonight for supper I decided to do a little experimenting.  I had some lemons left over in the fridge from the cake I made last week and I was craving brussel sprouts.  I decided a pasta would go well with both the ingredients.  Call me weird, but I really am not a huge fan of pasta.  Maybe I haven't had really good stuff yet, I don't know, but it just doesn't usually make me all that excited.  Oh, and I can't cook it.  It's one of the only things I really can't conquer. 

Tonight I came close.  This pasta was fantastic, and it smelled so yummy!

Give it a try, and tell me if you try anything different.  I'd love some new ideas!

Angel-hair Pasta with Garlic Lemon Sauce, Mushrooms, Shrimp, and Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients:
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 1 box of angel hair pasta
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. garlic paste (you could use a few cloves of chopped garlic instead)
  • 1 very large scallion
  • 1 1/3 c. olive oil
  • 1 c. shredded, fresh parmesan cheese
  • fresh mushrooms
  • 1 lb. fresh brussel sprouts
  • 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper, more to taste
  • fresh, italian parsley
Directions:
1.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Clean and sort through the brussel sprouts.  Cut them in halves.  Mix 1/3 c. olive oil in a large zip-lock bag and add in 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.  Add the brussel sprouts and toss to coat.  Once they are equally coated in the oil lay the spouts cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet.  Bake about 10 minutes or until the tops are blackened and soft to the touch.  Go ahead, taste one!  I promise you won't regret it, and you'll be able to tell if you need to bake them longer.
2.  Meanwhile heat some oil in a fry pan and saute the scallion, add the mushrooms and 1 tsp. lemon juice.  Add some pepper.  Once the mushrooms begin to cook through and are nearly done add the shrimp.  Saute until the shrimp are fully cooked. 
3.  Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.  This should take around 5 minutes.  While the pasta is cooking make the lemon sauce.  To do this, mix together the juice of two lemons and 1 cup of olive oil.  Keep one cup parmesan cheese on the side, ready to throw into the mix.   If you'd like, you can even grate the cheese in with the lemon and oil mixture.  This is what I did.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
4.  Once the pasta is finished cooking, add the lemon sauce (make sure to keep the pasta on low heat), cheese, mushrooms, shrimp, and brussel sprouts.   Chop some fresh italian parsley and throw that in there too!
Toss everything gently so that all the ingredients are evenly distributed. 
5.  Garnish with freshly chopped italian parsley and serve with fresh garlic bread.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment